Saturday, January 05, 2008

Funny Letter Regarding UFC I

UFC I was a legendary event that forever changed the world of martial arts. With the high profile win of Royce Gracie the study of martial arts would shift from a movie based influence to a more realistic influence. This is not to say UFC I was not entertaining. Some of the quick and ballistic fights were exciting. Then, there was Royce vs. Art Jiimmerson. Oh boy, that was an embarrassingly bad match. There is a letter that appeared on The Wrestling Observer website that chronicled in.

The URL is http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/news/headlines/default.asp?aID=21748


Here is an excerpt:

"We found out he would be fighting Royce Gracie, a jiu jitsu practitioner. We had no idea what jiu jitsu was, so I bought an instructional book about it. Looking at it, it didn't seem like Arthur had much of chance to win unless he got in a lucky punch.

"Since there were no gloves in the first UFC, Arthur didn't want to get his jab hand hurt, so he wore a boxing glove in the match on his left hand, gloveless on his right. Our strategy was that this was basically a free $15,000, so if Arthur got taken down I would throw in the towel."


What were they thinking?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home