Monday, January 28, 2008

The Sucker Punch

Although the main focus of this blog has been sport and exercise, I like to mention a little about self defense now and then. The reason that I don't mention it is because I like stay away (and above) most martial arts/self defense arguments because they are usually pseudological and often silly. Upon watching Tony Blauer's DVD Science of the Sucker Punch I have to say if you are looking for info on self defense this is one of the very best DVDs on the subject because it brings a certain reality to the subject as it centers on what is probably the main weapon of a street fight: the sucker punch.

Here are a few facts: A sucker punch is basically any offensive attack that is a surprise attack. Sucker punches/attacks often come from a blind side. The impact is usually devastating because the surprise factor limits defense capability. When you hit the ground after a sucker punch you are prone to many attacks because you have essentially been incapacitated.

Considering the severity of the dangers of being nailed with a sucker punch isn't it somewhat obtuse that so many systems of self defense do not teach defense to it. As always, the obvious escapes us as we look to the overcomplicated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home