New Venture for the Traditionalists
I have held back on a number of blog posts that center on the traditional martial art mainly because the focus of this particular blog is boxing. Yes, I did venture here and there into some musings on traditional martial arts. I avoided discussing traditional arts in a great deal of depth mainly because I did not want to get way off topic. Then, it finally dawned on me to start a new blog that deals with traditional arts. I have started work on this and will turn out to be a fun blog. That - by the way - will be the operative word: fun. If there was anything that undermined traditional arts in the 1980's when they were experiencing a great deal of growth it was the emphasis on "militarism" and "boot camp" mentalities. Such an environment sapped the fun out of everything and set the stage for the MMA revolution a few short years later. Oh, yes, people will talk about finding a system that "works" but it was more than that. It was arrogance and condescension that was also rejected when adults departed from traditional martial arts circles. This is a shame because such arrogance had more to do with aspects of western society than with the original intent of the traditional martial arts. That is one major reason why boxing, kickboxing, and MMA became more appealing to adults. No one wants to be condescended towards....particularly from someone that they are paying. Anyway, I am getting way off topic. And, besides, the damage is done. However, the true spirit of traditional martial arts lives on forever and that is what I will be covering in my blog The Old Dojo. I will keep you posted....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home