Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A side note about pain and training

Please do not take my previous post as an endorsement of training with an injury. That would be incredibly foolish because it could lead to a worsening of an injury. Clearly, that is incredibly at odds with the health benefits of taking up the sport of boxing. If you do have an injury, take the proper time off to let it heal. Also, avoid any attempt at self diagnosis...see a doctor if a nagging injury persists. Play it safe and smart, folks.

Keep in mind, training with a bad injury will not only delay the healing process, but it can possibly run the risk of aggravating the injury. I learned this the hard way when I suffered a rib injury when I was 24 and too dumb to realize that I was doing myself to favors by attending kickboxing classes with a bad and painful injury. (What was I thinking?)

Boxing is a physical sport and it is a contact sport. Even if you are hitting a heavy bag, you are making contact with your hand. Hence, the body will take a marginal physical toll no matter what you are doing. So, if injuries start accumalating, take proper care of yourself so that your training remains safe, fun and productive

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home