Sunday, June 03, 2007

Boxing and confidence

An aspect we neglect due to our own humility is the strength induced expansion of the ego as a result of boxing training. Hmmm. Perhaps I am being somewhat obtuse in my description of the psychological effects of getting better at the art and science of pugilism. I am not saying that a person develops an “I’m stronger than you because I am tougher than you” attitude. Such an obnoxious attitude is actually rarely found in boxing gyms, The reason for this is that boxing takes a great deal of hard work to become functional. Such hard work breeds a certain sense of humility. In many traditional martial arts, the opposite is the result. This is why we see so many martial arts “masters” with outrageous and colossal egos. They are frauds and such phoniness breeds a false and inflated sense of ego. That is a false ego and it is harmful,

No, the ego that is developed in boxing is one of self confidence. The self confidence that boxing imparts in a person is one that reaffirms the person’s ability to believe in himself due to having a track record in success and skill development. In other words, the achievements of success that boxing instills in a person will carry over to other endeavors. Hopefully, the success that derived from boxing training will duplicate itself in any and all other endeavors that you undertake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home