Thursday, June 07, 2007

Low Carbs and Exercise

I have recently started on a low carb program and I was bracing for the rapid loss of energy that results from such a sugar depletion. However, things were no where near as dramatic as I thought they would be. To greta extent, the addition of the treadmill workout has allowed my cardio to stay fit. In terms of the energy depletion as a result of too few carbs, I simply pace myself so as to work extended periods of time without moving using explosive energy. Surprise, surprise...it worked. I did not suffer the fatigue problem as much as I thought I would. (Please note - I did eat some white bread and peanut butter before heading to the gym so as to have some carbs in my system)

Honestly, I gave up on the low carb diet many years ago. I went on it for a few months and dropped 10 lbs, but then I switched to a high carb diet with a lot of exercise and lost 10 more. Because of the lack of balance, I opted to avoid going on the low carb diet for a while, but after having been at a weight plateau of 175lbs for 18 months, it was time to try something different. Or, rather, repeat something that worked in the past. We'll see if I can get down to 170lbs mixing a low carb diet with a lot of mid to high intensity workouts.

I'll keep ya posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home