Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Why Savate?

When I mention to people that I have been taking private lessons in Savate, I usually get quizical looks from people as to why I would invest my training in an art that has limited exposure in the United States and is no where near as popular as the competing kickboxing ring sport Muay Thai.

Here is my feelings on Muay Thai: I studied the art for 8 years (and I have sadly neglected it on my blog....need to fix that) and it was time to broaden my horizons with an art that I had received limited exposure to in the past. In other words, I wanted to try something different and, more importantly, I wanted to develop legitimate skill in this art.

Most people simply don't understand the art because they have never even seen it much less taken a lesson in the sport. Of course, there are also those annoying people who will dismiss if because it is not a featured art in the UFC, but for all we know, that could change in the future...remember, people slammed judo as not being effective in MMA and I have seen Judo guys in Pride, UFC and K-1 throw other fighters around like rag dolls. Let that be a lesson for people.

Ultimately, my love for savate is based on my personal needs and likes. I am not chasing my study of this art simply so to appease others or follow a crowd. That isn't my style and it is about as flawed of a training paradigm as one could possibly follow.

And, of course, the art of savate is VERY effective and that is always a positive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home