Sunday, June 15, 2008

Some thoughts after looking at Geometry

My other job duties have me performing all sorts of research. (When you work with advertising you have to research the subject you are compiling copy for) Sometimes, this leads you to some interesting discoveries. I was skimming material on geometry and it gave me a little insight on martial arts. No, I a not going to mention anything about triangles and their relation to fighting; that will come about another day. No, the word that pops to mind when looking at geometry explained properly is “listless”. That does not mean I find the people who teach geometry properly to be listless. They are the few that are not. No, what I mean is that so much potential is wasted in High School by the robotic teaching of geometry, math, and other courses.

Sadly, this is commonplace with martial arts as well. So many instructors teach in a thoroughly robotic fashion that the complexities of their arts become lost in a “get in, get out” manner designed to kill an hour of class time. Again, instructors who do not do this are the exception to the rule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home